Saturday, March 29, 2008

Chaplaincy @ Balmoral.... and Ann St. Community BBQ



Well, here I am just over two weeks back in Brisbane... what an amazing two weeks it has been. I am very excited about some changes that are taking place, and the way that God has led the way. I had been praying about getting involved in a High School that was closer to the city, as Redcliffe is not that close to Ann St. Church of Christ. My friend Des has recently begun working as the chaplain at a school much closer to the city, Balmoral State High, and I am now going to be working one day a week with him. I went for my first time this past week and you know, I am just amazed at how God orchestrates things. While I was there I met the school nurse, Donna. She too is a Christian. She told me about a program that she and Des are going to run, called SHINE. It is a Christian program for high school girls, that has come out of Hillsong Church in Sydney. I have heard many great things about it. So, Donna has asked me to be a part of helping her facilitate it. She is only at the school one day a week, and that 'happen' to be the day that I went. I am very excited about getting into things so quickly. What an amazing opportunity. The best part of it is that the Deputy Principal wants us to run it during class time.. so students will focus better, knowing that if they muck up here, they go back to their regular class. That is a bonus....

Tonight we had our monthly Community BBQ at Ann St. There are some pictures here so that you can see the church, but also the crowd that we had. Not sure exactly how many were there, but I do know that we ran out of food... that is a great problem to have. It was one of our biggest turn outs since starting them nearly 2 years ago. I always love just talking to people and hearing where they are from. We get so many international students and workers. And then we have our regulars, and it is always good to see them, especially after being away. Of course always looking for opportunities to share Christ with those that don't know Him, or encourage those that do.

I praise God for all of the wonderful things that he does, and the blessings he so graciously gives.

One more thing.. it has been good to be back in the world of Tim Tams ( the best 'cookies' in the world)... and they have new flavours... now that is dangerous!

3 comments:

A Family/Group Member said...

seems like a good turn out. I think community things are important because so many live solitary lives at least they know there is a place that is welcoming

bobby said...

In all the time you've been there, I'm not sure I've actually seen a shot of the church, but maybe I have.

Anyway, glad to hear you're doing well. Keep on posting! Blogging...isn't it such a wonderful thing? ;)

Kim said...

Great to see pictures! We are praying for you!