Monday, January 12, 2009

Thanksgiving in Australia- as you can see I am way behind



So, I have been without the internet on my laptop since I moved out of my other house in Sept. so it has been very difficult to post anything. I finally am back in the game so I will work my way through updating things.


This one is about Thanksgiving. Yes, I know that was a while ago, but I still thought it would be nice to talk about the American Thanksgiving that I had here in Australia with some of my friends....


As November rolls around each year, I am often asked about Thanksgiving- why we celebrate it and what is all this talk about the food. I have been in Australia for nearly 5 years now and have not been in the USA for Thanksgiving since. So, for selfish reasons and so that I could properly show some Aussie's what it is all about... we had Thanksgiving.. turkey and all the trimmings (though not all easy to come by). The turkey itself was just a turkey breast, because that is all they have. I guess Aussie's don't eat much of it... in fact one friend had it for the first time. And I won't even go into how I was able to get a tin of pumpkin for pumpkin pie, but all I can say is that God provided that one.


All this to say, it was a great time with friends, but through it all, it got me thinking, why do we celebrate Thanksgiving? I mean, I know how it started... the pilgrims were thankful to the 'Indians' for welcoming them and showing them how to live off of the land. Maybe I am wrong, but I sure think that that is how/why it started. But if in deed that is the reason, it just made me very sad to think that we still carry on with all the traditions, down to what food is served for a Thanksgiving dinner. And yes, I hope that we all take time to be thankful for the many blessings that we have because we are indeed blessed.... but let's think about how it all started, and where we as a country (USA) are with the Native Americans now. They were so welcoming to us, but look at how we treat them now... is this really the way we want to say thank you? Please note that I say we as a country, because I know that many reading this actually do love them and have a heart for the Native Americans.... however, it did make me think, and admitedly a bit shamed to explain how Thanksgiving started.... knowing how things are now.... just my thoughts. We did have a great time with great friends.

No comments: