Thursday, March 26, 2009

Prayer


Two Pastors wives were chatting while sewing their husband’s pants.

One wife said: My husband is just beside himself, he does not know what to do anymore and he is so tired and depressed, he said he is ready to just give up and resign.

The other wife said: I am sorry to hear that because my husband has never been happier. Our membership is growing, and we are out of our financial burden. We have such a large and loving congregation. Life could not be any better than it is right now.

The first woman was mending the seat of her husband’s pants; the other was mending the knees.


What part of your pants needs mending? The subject of prayer is one that has come up several times in the past couple of months for me. Prayer is a gift that we are blessed to have. I mean, think about it, we have direct access to God... through Christ. How many people/religions don't realise that? Too many. So, the question that I have been challenged with is not am I praying, because I do everyday, but 'How am I praying?' I was reading a friends blog about a story that Mike Carman shared at the Knott Ave. missions week... when 300 people showed up to pray for the drought to break, only one came with an umbrella. Think about that. Am I praying truly believing that God will answer? Well I tell you what, if I wasn't before, I am now. I have been asked to be a part of a Prayer Marathon for a young women in England who's body is riddled with cancer. I do not know her, she is a friend of a friend, but that is ok, God knows her. He created her. So everyday, from 2-2:30pm I have committed to praying for Jen. Not only has it been good for me to stop for 30 minutes everyday to pray for a specific person, but I have had to ask myself, 'Do I really believe that God can heal her?" Yes, I do. so rather than showing up with my umbrella, I am taking my bin with me... because Jen will no longer need all those meds. I figure she can dump them in the bin. Through all of this, and much more I am learning it is not just our time that God wants, but it is our heart, our trust and faith in Him.


So I ask you... do the knees of your pants need mending?



Then Jesus went about a stones throw away from them. He kneeled down and prayed.

Luke 22:41

2 comments:

bobby said...

Interesting post Daun. Thanks. you got me thinking.

On one hand, I totally agree with you. We should pray believing God will do things. And I always need to be challenged in my prayer life. So that was good stuff. I pretty much agreed with all the stuff you wrote.

On the other hand, I don't like the little story at the top at all. I kinda get the point, and what you got out of it is true. But as a pastor, it sounded like it was saying that as long as you pray everything in life will be great. I can believe God will answer prayers, but that doesn't mean things will always turn out like I want them to, either. Or that life or ministry will be great. Sometimes life is just hard, God throws us some curve balls, and the knees get worn out just as much if not more cause we have to lean on Him harder, and that's what He wants. Sometimes fixing everythin isn't his primary concern, or desire.

Daun Slauson said...

Hey Bobby, I just now saw this comment, so I am sorry. I have not ignored it.... I agree with you completely. Just because we pray does not mean that things are going to go exactly as we hope or plan... but without prayer you will get no where... and the more you pray, the more I believe your heart is going to be in tune with God... and then whatever the outcome of a situation is, we will be in the best place... so yes, the point that I get from that story is that we must be on our knees praying... rather than just sitting and waiting for God to 'do His thing'...
Love ya mate... miss you and Rach heaps.